Monday, March 8, 2010

College Basketball

Some of the smaller conferences are finished up or are finishing up their conference tournaments early this week. The larger/BCS conferences have most of their tournaments starting this week and finishing up this weekend. The bubble has become quite tenuous for many at large teams. Jay Bilas described this as 'the weakest at large field ever.' Considering my schools (OU, Michigan, and Nevada) are not in line to make the tournament, and with few intriguing storylines, I find myself less enthusiastic about March Madness. Nevada has a chance to steal a bid this week in Reno (might go to a game or two) at the WAC tournament. However, Michigan and OU woefully underachieved this year finishing in the bottom half of both of their conferences.

I will be rooting for New Mexico (like Steve Alford, can't stand BYU), San Diego St. (my boy Steve Fisher is coaching), Nevada, and for many of the mid majors to have good showings this week. With a wide open field, March Madness could be a lot more upset ridden than last year.

Kansas has to the be the favorite over the young Wildcats and the point guard less Orangemen. You need 4 man post rotation, outside shooting, and an outstanding point guard to win a NCAA championship. Andy Rautins is a fantastic college player, but I do not think they have that dynamic point guard like a Sherron Collins or even a John Wall to set the pace of the game.

Connecticut women's basketball team goes for their 71st straight win tonight versus Notre Dame tonight. This streak is simply amazing, but now I have to stop talking about women's basketball because I have exceeded my allowance the past week...

1 comment:

  1. I feel you man the teams that I support come tournament time are North Carolina and OU so i have not been to pumped about the tournament. I think Kansas is the favorite to win because they are too deep and have a veteran point guard. As long as syracuse doesnt face louisville in the tournament I am tipping them to make it to the final four. I would not be suprised if a team like west virginia made a deep run but I feel like this tournament has the potential for a lot of upsets

    ReplyDelete